Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Road to Redemption

Why is that our family and friends are the people who like to push our buttons the most? They know what makes us tick and yet they use that to their advantage. Do you have a sibling that changes your mood whenever you see them, or do you have a sibling who always says something to piss you off? If the answer to either of those questions is yes, you should do something to combat the situation. From the time my sister was able to walk and talk, she and I have been at each other's throats. We would compete for our parents attention, new toys, and even for getting snacks. There were times when I didn't act like a big brother to her, and I was extremely mean at times. But, there was a defining moment in our relationship around the time I was twenty. It was late one night, may be around midnight, and she called me crying. Even though I was halfway asleep, I knew something was wrong. The next few words that came from her lips were, "Ryan I'm sorry for everything I said to you over the years. I never meant anything I said to you and I love you. I only want the best for you." After I heard those words, I felt tears in my eyes and I began to weep. I wasn't weeping because I was sad, but I was weeping because I was happy. My sister made my night and changed my life forever. Her words of encouragement took me down a path of redemption. I faced alot of demons during that portion of the journey. I've said all of that to say this, "Be careful what you say to people!" The reason I say that is because one person's kind words can make a world of difference. No matter how big or how small those words can ignite a fire that was once dormant, or they can give you affirmation that this isn't where you should be in life. There are many different reasons for wht words can do, but you should remember that your tongue is a powerful weapon. So make sure you use it wisely.

1 comment: